If you’re looking for a lightweight and affordable tent for your family’s summer camping trip, the Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Tent may be the perfect choice for you. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the key features and benefits of this extended dome-type tent, including its great floor area and livability. We’ll also provide information on who this tent is suitable for, the materials and construction, and the setup process, and compare it to its competitors.
Key Features & Benefits
- Affordable price: The Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Tent is offered at a budget-friendly price point, making it accessible to a wide range of customers.
- Large floor area: This tent provides ample space inside, allowing for the comfortable accommodation of multiple people and gear.
- Dome-type structure: The tent is designed in a dome shape, which offers stability and enhances the overall durability of the structure.
- Windows for ventilation: Equipped with windows, the tent promotes airflow and ventilation, ensuring a fresh and breathable interior environment.
- Divider included for creating 2 rooms: The tent comes with a divider that enables users to create two separate rooms, offering privacy and organization options.
- Cool design: The tent boasts an appealing and stylish design, adding aesthetic value to your outdoor camping experience.
What Type of Tent is the Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10?
The Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Tent is a popular choice for families looking for a lightweight and affordable camping tent that is suitable for mild summer conditions. It is important to understand the specific features of this tent before purchasing, so let’s take a closer look at what type of tent the Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 is.
The Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 is a 2-3 season tent, which means that it is suitable for use in mild weather conditions. This tent is designed for use in the summer months, and may not be suitable for use in harsher weather conditions such as winter or heavy rain.
The Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 is a dome-shaped tent, which means that it has a circular base and a peaked roof. This design provides ample headroom and living space, making it comfortable for families to spend time in. Additionally, the tent has extended sections on both sides, which provide extra storage space for gear and other camping essentials.
The Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 is not a freestanding tent, which means that it requires stakes to hold it in place. This is an important consideration when planning your camping location, as you will need to find a suitable ground surface that can hold the stakes securely. This also means that the tent may not be as stable in windy conditions as a freestanding tent.
Suitable for Camping:
The Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 is a camping tent, which means that it is designed for use in outdoor camping environments. It is lightweight and easy to transport, making it a popular choice for families who want to explore the great outdoors. The tent is also easy to set up, with a pin-and-ring system that makes setup a breeze.
Who is the Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Tent for?
The Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Tent is a spacious and affordable camping tent that is suitable for a range of camping enthusiasts. Here’s a closer look at who this tent is designed for:
The official capacity of the Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Tent is 10 people. The tent has a floor area of 170 ft² (15.8 m²), which means that there is more than 1.5 m² of space per person. This makes it an excellent choice for larger families or groups of friends who want to camp together.
Families with Kids:
While the tent is officially designed for 10 people, families with kids may find that the tent can comfortably accommodate parents and up to four children. This is because the tent does not have any external vestibule or covered storage space. Families with younger children may find that the space can be used more efficiently with bunk cots, providing a comfortable and fun camping experience for everyone.
The Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Tent is lightweight, weighing only 21.1 lb (9.57 kg). However, due to its size, it is not suitable for backpacking or hiking. You will need a vehicle, such as a car or a motorbike, to transport the tent to your camping destination. The tent also comes with a stow ‘n’ go duffel system, which makes it easy to pack and transport.
Materials and Construction
The Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Tent is made with durable materials and is designed to provide a comfortable and enjoyable camping experience. Here’s a closer look at the materials and construction of this tent:
The tent comes with 7 fiberglass poles, all of which are shock-corded, which ensures that you will not lose any parts. The two main long poles create the X-shaped central dome, and the other two poles support the extended sections on the sides. An extra pole is normally added above the doors together with the fly, creating a small awning.
The floor of the tent is made of polyethylene, a plastic material that is known for its durability. The seams are welded, which is the best way to seal the floor and ensure that it is waterproof. The walls of the tent are made of polyester, which provides a good balance of breathability and water resistance. The windows are made of polyester mesh, which allows for ventilation while keeping bugs out.
The Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Tent is designed with an internal organization that maximizes space and provides privacy for campers. Here’s a closer look at the internal organization of this tent:
Two Separated Sections:
The tent comes with an internal removable divider that creates two separate sections within the tent. This feature allows you to create a separate sleeping area for adults and children, or for different groups of campers. The two sections are accessible through two side-by-side D-shaped doors, which provide easy entry and exit.
The tent’s ceiling is made entirely of mesh, which provides excellent ventilation and helps to keep the interior of the tent cool and comfortable. However, there are no ventilation openings in the tent walls, which means that if it rains, you will need to keep the panels closed, potentially leading to reduced airflow.
There are only a couple of small pockets on the wall of the tent, which can be limiting if you need to store a lot of gear. If you plan to use the tent for an extended period or have a lot of gear, you may want to consider bringing additional storage solutions.
Setup of the Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Tent
The Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Tent is designed to be easy to set up, even for first-time campers. Here’s a closer look at the setup process for this tent:
- Pin-and-Ring System: The tent uses a pin-and-ring system to secure the poles and provide stability to the structure. This system is easy to use and requires minimal setup time. The pin-and-ring system also helps to make the tent almost freestanding, which means that you can set it up without relying on stakes or guy lines.
- Sleeves on the Roof: The sleeves on the roof of the tent help to stabilize the structure and make it more secure. The sleeves are designed to fit the poles snugly and keep them in place, even in windy conditions.
- Staking: While the pin-and-ring system makes the tent almost freestanding, it is important to stake it down for maximum stability. The tent comes with stakes and guy lines, which you can use to secure the tent to the ground. Staking is especially important if you plan to camp in windy conditions or if there is a chance of rain.
- Fly: The tent comes with a minimal fly that protects the roof from rain and provides some additional protection from the wind. The fly is easy to attach to the tent and can be staked down for added security.
- Video Tutorial: If you are a first-time camper or need help setting up the tent, there are many video tutorials available online. One such video tutorial is available on the Mountain Trails website, which provides a step-by-step guide to setting up the tent.
What’s Included with the Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Tent
The Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Tent comes with all the essentials you need to set up and use the tent. Here’s a closer look at what’s included:
The tent comes with seven fiberglass poles, which are shock-corded for easy assembly and disassembly. The two main long poles create the X-shaped central dome, while the other two poles support the extended sections on the sides. One extra pole is included above the doors, together with the fly, to create a small awning.
Stakes and Guy Lines:
The tent comes with stakes and guy lines, which you can use to secure the tent to the ground. These are essential for ensuring the stability of the tent, especially in windy conditions.
Pouch for Stakes:
The tent also comes with a pouch for the stakes, which makes it easy to keep them organized and prevents them from getting lost.
Stow ‘n’ Go Duffel System:
The tent does not come with a traditional carry bag. Instead, it features an integrated Stow ‘n’ Go duffel system that makes it easy to transport the tent. The tent stakes and pole packet unroll with the tent, and the mud mat is used with elastic bands to wrap the bundle. The resulting bundle is compact enough to be transported on a motorbike.
- Type: Non-freestanding, 3-season tent
- Capacity: 10 people
- Weight: 21.1 lb (9.57 kg)
- Dimensions (L x W): 18 x 10 ft (216 x 120 in, 549 x 305 cm)
- Floor area: 170 ft² (15.8 m²)
- Area per person: 17 ft² (1.58 m²)
- Peak height: 6.3 ft (76 in; 192 cm)
- Packed size: 30 x 12 x 12 in (76 x 30 x 30 cm)
- Poles: Fiberglass
- Doors: 2
- Windows: 2
The Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Tent is a great option for families and groups looking for an affordable and spacious tent for summer camping. With a large floor area, a dome-shaped design, and windows for ventilation, it offers a comfortable and livable camping experience. However, it is important to note that the tent is not suitable for harsh weather conditions, and lacks a carry bag and internal organization. Overall, the Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Tent is a well-built and versatile tent that provides excellent value for its price.