When it comes to camping gear, finding a tent that strikes the perfect balance between affordability and quality can be a challenge. That’s why I’m excited to introduce you to the Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent—an incredibly popular and budget-friendly option that has been making waves in the camping community. With its single-room extended dome construction, three windows, and one door, this tent offers a practical and comfortable camping experience for up to six people. Join me as I delve into the features, suitability, materials, and overall performance of the Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent
Key features & benefits
- Extended dome tent.
- One door.
- One room.
- Fiberglass poles.
- Amazon’s Choice item.
- E-cable port.
- Incredible price.
What Makes the Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent Stand Out
Regarding longevity and popularity, the Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent has proven its worth over several years in the camping market. It quickly gained a reputation for being a top choice among campers, and one glance at its price will make it abundantly clear why it has become so widely favored. Coleman also offers an 8-person version of this tent, which boasts slightly different features to cater to larger groups.
Design and Structure:
The Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent features an extended dome construction that incorporates a central section supported by X-shaped poles, along with two additional poles on the sides. These side poles contribute to the tent’s impressive interior volume, allowing campers to move around and sleep comfortably. To visualize the structure, take a look at the picture below, showcasing the tent without the fly.
Single Room and Non-Freestanding
This tent is designed as a single-room structure and is non-freestanding, meaning it requires proper staking for stability and functionality. Notably, the extensions created by the side poles give rise to two angled side windows, partially protected by the fly. Additionally, there is a window on the tent’s only door, providing ample ventilation options. All the windows feature double-layer structures with mesh and zippered panels, offering rain protection and privacy.
Awning and Windbreakers for Enhanced Protection
One notable feature of the Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent is the presence of an awning that shields the door and its corresponding window. This offers a convenient space to relax outside the tent, even during light rain or intense sunlight. Moreover, the tent includes windbreakers on the sides, which not only provide added protection for the door but also serve as a shield when cooking in front of the tent.
Back Openings and Partial Coverage Fly
In terms of design, the Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent does not feature any openings at the back, as clearly seen in the picture below. The tent’s fly, while providing only partial coverage, ensures that the walls maintain the same level of waterproofness as the fly itself. This combination effectively protects campers from unexpected rainfall and keeps the interior dry.
Comfortable Peak Height for a Dome Tent
Standing at a peak height of 68 inches (173 cm), the Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent offers a reasonable amount of headroom within the dome. While it may not provide standing height for most individuals, it remains a comfortable choice for a dome-style tent, allowing campers to move around and perform activities without feeling overly cramped.
Who is it for
The Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent is officially declared to accommodate six people, but it’s important to consider the available space. With an area of approximately 84 square feet (7.8 square meters), each camper would have around 14 square feet (1.3 square meters) if the tent were fully occupied. While it is possible to fit six sleeping pads on the floor, it is more realistic and comfortable to limit the number of users to three or four.
Seasons and Climate:
When assessing the tent’s suitability for different seasons and climates, it’s essential to note that the ceiling of the tent is entirely mesh, as evident from the picture without the fly. This design feature limits its suitability for cool climates where retaining warmth is crucial. However, the tent’s fly does not provide full coverage, and its waterproof rating is not particularly impressive. As a result, the Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent is best suited for up to two-season camping with minimal rain and wind. Although the tent claims to withstand 35+ MPH winds, it is not recommended for use in extreme weather conditions.
Weighing in at 17.05 pounds (7.73 kilograms), the Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent is relatively lightweight compared to other options on the market. However, it’s important to note that this tent is not designed for long-distance backpacking. If you require a tent suitable for extended hikes or backpacking trips with a group of six people, I recommend exploring our list of 6-person backpacking tents for more suitable options.
The tent’s packed size measures 26.3 x 8.6 x 8.4 inches (67 x 22 x 21 centimeters). While this may not be particularly impressive in terms of compactness, it’s worth considering that the Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent is primarily designed for car camping. Therefore, the packed size should not pose a significant issue when transporting the tent in a vehicle.
The Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent is constructed using various materials that contribute to its overall durability and functionality.
This tent utilizes seven shock-corded fiberglass poles. While fiberglass may not be the most durable material, it is commonly found in budget-friendly tents, and the Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent is no exception. It’s important to keep in mind that even more expensive tents often feature fiberglass poles.
The fly and walls of the tent are made of a 450 mm polyester fabric, incorporating the WeatherTec system and Polyguard fabric technology. The WeatherTec system ensures enhanced water resistance and protection against the elements. Additionally, the tent utilizes inverted seams, which are commonly used in many Coleman tents, providing an extra layer of water resistance. Both the fly and walls are made of fire-retardant materials, prioritizing safety.
The floor of the Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent is constructed with a rugged 1000D polyethylene bathtub-style material. It features welded seams in the corners, ensuring superior waterproofing. With this robust and waterproof plastic material, you can rest assured that you will be fully protected from groundwater and moisture seepage.
One aspect where the Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent could be improved is in the area of ventilation. Unfortunately, the tent lacks floor vents, which can be useful when it is necessary to keep all the windows closed during prolonged periods of rain. Adequate ventilation is crucial to prevent condensation build-up inside the tent.
- Zippered electrical access port provides a convenient entry point for electrical cables.
- Patented pin and ring pole attachment system for easy and secure setup.
- External guy points for added stability during windy conditions.
- An Insta-Clip system with clips and continuous pole sleeves ensures a quick and hassle-free setup every time.
- Instructions are sewn to the carry bag for easy reference during setup.
- All necessary carry sacks and stakes are included with the tent.
- Includes a flashlight loop on the ceiling for convenient illumination at night.
- Equipped with two storage pockets to help keep small items organized (one shown below). However, additional storage options may be needed, as these pockets may not be sufficient for all campers.
- The tent can be set up in approximately 15 minutes, offering a hassle-free camping experience.
- It comes with a 1-year limited warranty, providing peace of mind to campers.
- Declared capacity: 6 people.
- Weight: 17.05 lb (7.73 kg).
- Dimensions: 12 x 7 ft (366 x 213 cm).
- Area: 84 ft² (7.8 m²).
- Area per person: 14 ft² (1.3 m²).
- Packed size: 26.3 x 8.6 x 8.4 in (67 x 22 x 21 cm).
- Peak height: 68 in (173 cm).
Comparing Coleman Montana 6 Tent with Mobihome 6 and Core Dome 6 Tents
The Coleman Montana 6 Tent is a popular choice for group camping trips, but how does it compare to other similar tents in the market? Here, we’ll compare the Montana 6 to two other popular 6-person tents – the Mobihome 6 Tent and the Core Dome 6 Tent.
- Mobihome 6 Tent: The Mobihome 6 Tent is a popular alternative to the Coleman Montana 6, offering a similar capacity and design. Both tents have extended dome constructions, providing ample interior space for campers. However, the Mobihome 6 Tent comes with more windows, providing better ventilation and natural lighting. It also features a full-coverage rainfly, ensuring complete protection against rain and wind. On the downside, the Mobihome 6 Tent is slightly heavier than the Montana 6 and more expensive.
- Core Dome 6 Tent: The Core Dome 6 Tent is an affordable option for those looking for a 6-person tent. However, its design is a bit different than the Montana 6 and Mobihome 6, as it features a simple dome construction with less interior volume. Despite this, the Core Dome 6 Tent offers more floor area than the Montana 6, allowing for more comfortable sleeping arrangements. On the downside, the tent’s lack of volume makes it less suitable for standing up and moving around inside.
The Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent offers a compelling option for campers seeking an affordable and functional camping shelter. With its attractive design, straightforward setup process, and the convenience of an e-cable port, it provides a solid camping experience. However, it’s important to consider its limitations, such as having only one door, the absence of floor vents, the use of fiberglass poles, and the potential space constraints for a full capacity of six users. Overall, the Coleman Montana 6-Person Tent strikes a balance between affordability and practicality, making it a viable choice for budget-conscious campers looking for a reliable camping companion.